Residential Service Guide
What Goes Where | Recycle, Compost, Landfill
Customers are provided a black wheeled cart for weekly collection of landfill waste. For an additional fee, customers can have PSSI bring the cart(s) to the curb. To add this "Concierge Service” (Backyard Service) or to request a medical exemption, contact PSSI.
Fall Curbside Clean-up: Saturday, November 11 from 7am - Noon
PSSI’s Curbside Clean-up offers an opportunity to properly dispose of unwanted items from your house, garage, and yard.
Now Accepting Reusable Items: Give items a second life! Items in good condition will now be donated.
- Accepted items include: clothes, shoes, books, working electronics, kitchen service ware, bedding in good condition, toys, games, and sporting goods.
- Please put all donation items off to the side away from other waste. Items will be taken to a donation center and accepted at their discretion.
Guidelines: All material must be bagged, tied, boxed, or bundled, weigh less than 30 pounds per unit, & be placed on the curb or alleyway. Collection begins at 7 am. It helps to set out materials the night before. Residents on Junipero Serra must place items in a pile at the end of their driveway; their items must not be blocking the bike lanes or out on any part of the street.
ACCEPTED MATERIALS: Large bulky items are accepted with the restrictions below:
- Computer monitors & televisions (accepted only with your name & address on unit(s) per government regulation)
- Unusable furniture & appliances (refrigerators & items with freon accepted but incur a separate fee; contact PSSI prior to the Clean-up to request a pick-up.
- Tree limbs and prunings (max. length 4 feet; max. diameter 4 inches)
- Dirt, rock, cement (or similar materials), or automobile parts.
- Hazardous or toxic materials (including paint, fluorescent tubes or bulbs, thermostats, & batteries.)
- Household batteries & compact fluorescent light bulbs (CFLs) can be disposed of on your regular service day. Place items in a clear one gallon plastic bag on top of your curbside recycling cart, clearly visible to the driver on your collection day.
- Latex paint, used motor oil & filters can be disposed of at the Drop-off Center Monday through Saturday from 8 am to 4 pm. 701 Serra Street, Stanford. See Utility Customer Service page for more information (SUNet required):
Other types of household hazardous waste (listed below) can be disposed of in the Santa Clara County Household Hazardous Waste Program. Visit http://www.hhw.org/ or call (408) 299-7300 to find a drop-off location or make an appointment. Materials accepted include:
- Flammables include paints, dry or wet, petroleum-based products, and polishes
- Corrosives include acids, bases batteries, and drain clog remover
- Toxics include poisons, pesticides, gardening chemicals, ammonia, and solvents
- Oxidizers include pool chemicals, hydrogen peroxide, iodine and perchlorates
- Miscellaneous items include propane, helium, small oxygen tanks, smoke detectors
- Biohazardous includes medical waste, prescription drugs, used sharps, including syringes, needles, and lancets
If you have questions regarding the Clean-up, please call PSSI at (650) 321-4236 or email email@example.com.
Proper Cart Placement
Place carts with wheels in the street in front of the curb, lid closed. Make sure wheels are next to the curb or in the gutter and the cart is at least four feet from curbside recycling bins. Keep lid closed to keep material from getting wet or blowing away. Cart should be placed on the curb, not more than 24 hours before your collection day. Customers with alleys should place their carts in the alley.
Streets in the Faculty/Staff area are swept once per week during the rainy season (October through April) and once a month during the dry season (May through September). Streets are swept the day after your regular collection day, except for Friday customers have their streets swept on Mondays.
PSSI offers curbside collection of household batteries and compact fluorescent light bulbs (CFLs). Place items in clear plastic bag on top of your curbside recycling cart, clearly visible to the driver on your collection day. Do not leave the bags near a storm drain or in the gutter and do not place inside your recycling cart. These items are also accepted at the main office at 339 Bonair Siding Rd., Stanford.
Reduce Food Waste
Get tips to reduce food waste to save money and protect the environment.
Recycling, compost, & landfill carts are serviced weekly.
Auto-Pay & Paperless Invoicing
PSSI offers auto-pay and paperless invoicing to customers. This service offers more convenience and reduces paper. To sign up, please email PSSI with "auto-pay" or "paperless invoicing" in the subject line and include your billing address.
Auto-pay allows customers to pay the balance due on your PSSI account via automatic debit from your checking account or by credit card. Each month your invoice will include a notification of the date of the bank debit or charge. To sign up, email PSSI and request an auto-pay form. A form will be emailed to you within 48 hours. Complete the form and return it via regular mail. Be sure to include a voided check - do not send deposit slips. Once one payment cycle has been successfully completed your check will be shredded. Your bank account information will be encrypted and stored in PSSI's billing software. If you change banks or close your bank account, PSSI will need notification ASAP in order to update your account.
PSSI also offers paperless invoicing. By signing up for paperless invoicing and auto-pay you are helping PSSI save resources. To sign up, please email us with "paperless invoicing" in the subject line and include your billing address.
Faculty/Staff Clean Up Events
The Fall and Spring Curbside Clean-Up events offer an opportunity for our customers to clean out their house, garage, and yard. The Fall Clean-Up is usually in late October / early November, and the Spring Clean-Up is usually in March or April. Contact PSSI for exact dates.