Zero Waste Events
Learn how to plan a green event by using the resources on the Cardinal Green Events website. How do you host a zero waste event? Start with planning - make sure all purchases, including food ware, decorations, and give-aways are either reusable, recyclable, or compostable. Communicating these requirements to vendors and exhibitors is key. Then, order the appropriate sets of recycling, compost, and landfill bins. Share with your attendees the goal of a zero waste event via your website, emails, in programs, signs on tables, or simple announcements such as "don't forget to recycle your beverage containers and compost any leftover food scraps at the zero waste stations." Lastly, evaluate the event waste and make changes for next time.
Interested in having volunteers monitor event bins and educate guests about proper waste sorting? Email firstname.lastname@example.org at least one week prior to the event to arrange.
Event Recycling, Compost, and Landfill Bins
Events can be challenging when it comes to waste reduction, but we are here to help reduce waste and recycle and compost more at your events planned on campus! We offer sets of three, 32 gallon bins with color-coded lids for the collection of recyclables (plastics, metal, glass, paper & cardboard), compostables (food scrap, paper towels, and compostable foodware), and landfilled trash.
Order Recycle, Compost & Landfill Bins for Events
All recycle, compost, and landfill bins are delivered by PSSI. To order event bins for on campus events, submit a Customer Funded Work Request. Work orders must be approved and received by PSSI at least 3 work days before an event. A fee may be charged for same day service requests. If you have questions about the service, call (650) 321-4236 or email.
- You are responsible for the bins rented from PSSI. Please ensure bins are used properly. You will incur a charge for the full replacement cost of bins or lids lost, damaged, or otherwise altered.
- Extra bags of recyclables, compostables, or landfill waste left on the ground will be charged as an extra bin of that material type.
- PSSI operating hours are 7 am to 5 pm Monday through Friday and 9 am to 5 pm on Saturday. Deliveries and removals will happen during those hours. Deliveries for Sunday events will occur on Saturday with removal on the following Monday.
- Outside litter pick-up and cleaning services are mainly provided by Buildings and Grounds Maintenance. For these additional services, please submit a Customer Funded Work Request.
- Inside cleaning services are provided by UG2, our on-site janitorial partner for most Academic buildings on campus. For Academic areas and buildings, please submit a Customer Funded Work Request for these services. The following locations are not serviced by UG2, and event planners will need to contact these departments directly to arrange janitorial service or grounds clean up:
- Athletics, Student Housing, Alumni Center, Bookstore, Faculty Club, Montag Hall, Kingscote, Van Patten, Clark, Hillel, CCSC, Acorn CC, Mulberry CC, Arboretum CC, Dean of Chapel, Meyer Buck House, and SHC/LPCH.
- All other requests for Event Services can be submitted using the Event Services request form. Visit the Event Services webpage for more information.