Stanford’s achievements in sustainability-focused operations and academic research have been recognized by regional, national, and international organizations. The wide spectrum of Stanford’s awards and commendations highlights the multifaceted nature of sustainability.
In addition to the Platinum ranking, Stanford also performed well in AASHE's Sustainability Campus Index, which recognizes top-performing colleges and universities overall by institution type and in 17 sustainability impact areas. Stanford ranked in the following categories:
- First, overall, for Doctoral/Research Institutions
- First, for Diversity & Affordability
- Second, for Energy
- Second, for Wellbeing & Work
- Fourth, (tie) for Water
- Fourth, for Curriculum
- Fifth, for Public Engagement
- Eighth, for Campus Engagement
Additional Broad Sustainability Recognition includes:
- Princeton Review's Green Honor Roll for the seventh consecutive year, ranking in the top ten on its 2019 Top 50 Green Colleges List.
- Sierra Club Cool Schools List, second place ranking.
- Climate Registered Platinum, through The Climate Registry
- California Higher Education Sustainability Conference's Best Practice Award, for sustainable design at Stanford Redwood City in 2019, and for My Cardinal Green, in 2018
- PR Daily's Corporate Social Responsibility Awards, for Green and Environmental Stewardship
View additional sustainability awards by topic: