Stanford’s achievements in sustainability-focused operations and academic research have been recognized by regional, national, and international organizations. The wide spectrum of Stanford’s awards and commendations highlights the multifaceted nature of sustainability.
In addition to the Platinum ranking, Stanford also performed well in AASHE's Sustainability Campus Index, which recognizes top-performing colleges and universities overall by institution type and in 17 sustainability impact areas. Stanford ranked in the following categories:
- First, overall, for doctoral/research institutions (compared to #2 in 2016)
- First (11-way tie) for Research (same as 2016)
- First, (2-way tie) for Water (same as 2016)
- First, for Diversity & Affordability (compared to #3 in 2016)
- Third, for Energy (new in 2017)
- Fourth, for Campus Engagement, with My Cardinal Green included as a highlight (new this year)
Awards by Topic
SESI | Energy | Water | Transportation | Buildings | Food and Living | Waste
Sustainable Stanford Awards
Sustainable Stanford also recognizes those on campus who act as champions in advancing sustainability efforts on campus. The inaugural Sustainable Stanford Awards were presented at the Celebrating Sustainability Festival on Thursday, April 20, 2017. Stay tuned for annoucements about the 2018 awards.